Our roots and traditions date back to 1881, when several concerned and philanthropic Portland businessmen recognized that elderly mariners and craftsman had come to this port town, unable to return to their homes as the years at sea had taken their toll.
These businessmen, our founders, established a residence in a house previously owned by a sea captain named Cutter. It was located on the corner of Park and Danforth Streets, hence our name. They devoted their efforts to providing quality housing and services to these men and, later to couples and their survivors, offering a warm and friendly environment where residents could continue to enjoy life and to engage in productive activities and meaningful friendships.
Over a century later, our location has changed but our commitment has not.
Continually focused on our Mission and traditions, we offer an ever broader range of programs and serve more people in our community, enhancing their quality of life, while respecting their personal dignity and individuality.